There are many reasons to have a metal roof installed. They’re attractive, easy to maintain, and can be sturdier than a traditional roof. However, like all roofs, you do need to keep them maintained to keep them at their best. With a metal roof, though, it’s actually a lot easier. Here’s how to clean a metal roof, and keep it looking good all year round.
Why Clean Your Metal Roof?
Most homeowners won’t even think about cleaning their roof. Why would you need to clean it? The simple answer is because it helps the roof last for longer. It’s subject to a lot of issues, such as debris falling on it, rain, mold, mildew, and more. If these issues are allowed to build up over time, then they can reduce the lifespan of the roof. In extreme cases, the roof will need to be replaced if it’s subjected to too much damage.
Luckily though, this is easy to avoid. You can easily wash your own roof. Keep these issues from building up by learning how to clean a metal roof. Use this guide to help you get the most out of metal roof cleaning.
How To Clean a Metal Roof
Now, you need to know how to clean a metal roof. It’s actually quite simple, and any homeowner can do it. Just be sure to follow these steps:
Step one: Ensure that you’ll be safe to work on the roof. Use a safety rope and harness if needed, and have someone help you to ensure your safety as you’re cleaning.
Step two: Create the solution needed for cleaning. You’ll need half a cup of Tri-Sodium Phosphate (TSP) and a gallon of water. The TSP can be bought any good hardware store.
Step four: Use a soft brush to scrub away mold and mildew with your TSP solution. This should be enough to get most stains off your roof.
Step five: Now you’ll need to rinse your roof to remove the solution and get it really clean. The best way to do this is with a power washer. Plain water should be enough to remove any dirt that’s left on the roof.
Step six: If you had to remove paint or corrosion, now you’ll have to repaint the sections you scraped. Make sure you use a primer to help the paint stick properly and last longer on the roof.
Tips For Metal Roof Cleaning
There’s a few ways you can make metal roof cleaning easier and get the job done well. Here’s some tips from the experts:
- When you power wash the roof, make sure that you’re getting everything. You don’t want any residual detergent on there, as it can cause damage to the roof and that will cause bigger problems for you later down the line.
- Keep an eye on your energy levels. If your metal roof is poorly maintained, then the energy will just go up and out of the roof. If you keep it clean and well kept though, this shouldn’t be a problem.
- Remember, some deposits on your roof can actually cause it to rust. This doesn’t become as much of a problem if you have your roof properly painted and sealed, but it can still happen. Make sure you’re keeping an eye on your roof to keep it in good condition.
- Check with your roof manufacturer before you clean your roof for the first time, to see what they recommend. They may have another kind of detergent they recommend for their roofs, so ensure you’re using the right product for the job.
- Ensure you’re diluting your detergent properly. Some metal cleaners are slightly corrosive, so you need to ensure you’re diluting them correctly. If you don’t, you could actually cause damage to your roof.
DIY Or Professional Cleaning?
Now that you know how to clean a metal roof, you may be wondering whether you should clean your roof yourself, or have a professional come do it for you. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, and it can come down to personal preference.
If you do the job yourself, you can save cash by getting out there and washing your own roof. You can do it whenever you have a spare weekend, and take satisfaction in a job well done. However, you could end up making mistakes and even damaging your roof if you’re not careful.
A professional company will have the expertise and the knowledge to clean your roof well. They’ll do it safely too, so there’s less chance of damage to the roof. However, this can cost you if you want a good service.
Painting Your Roof
Another good way to maintain your metal roof is to have it painted. It’s aesthetically a good choice, as you can have almost any color you want, and it will add a lot to the appearance of your home. As well as this, a properly painted and sealed roof will hold up against the elements and help it live longer.
You can either have the roof painted by professionals or do it yourself. Both are good options, but it’s only really a good idea to do it yourself if you’re experienced. A professional team can use the right tools to get the job done well first time, as well as get it done safely.
If you do choose to paint your roof, ensure that you’re both priming your roof and sealing it properly. If you don’t, the paint can start to peel off. This creates more work for you later on, and results in a lot of wasted time.
So, there you have it, here’s how to clean a metal roof. Metal roof cleaning is easier than you’d think, so follow these tips and give it ago. You’ll keep your roof clean and in good condition for years to come, with just a bit of elbow grease.